Most snakes that are encountered are not poisonous but in North America there are a few that cause concern. The common venomous snakes are the rattlesnake, copperhead, water moccasin and coral snake. Bites from any of these snakes should be taken very seriously and emergency medical treatment should be the highest priority. If bitten and the snake can be clearly identified or without risk killed and acquired that information will be helpful during medical treatment using an antivenom. If perchance there is a bite from a nonpoisonous snake it can be treated as a puncture wound from any other animal.
Couple oils with emergency medical attention. The following steps are suggested:
1) Call 911 or arrange transportation to a medical facility asap.
2) Minimize stimulating blood circulation while being transported:
a. Keep them calm
b. Avoid stimulants such as alcohol or caffeine in pop or coffee.
c. Limit motion if possible, carry them if vehicles are not immediately accessible.
3) Keep the limb affected immobilized and below the heart if possible.
4) Do not use the old school techniques of a tourniquet, cutting the wound and trying to remove the venom.
5) Do not apply ice or use pain relievers.
6) Clean the area carefully and cover if time permits.
7) If bite is on an upper limb swelling may occur, remove jewelry.
Basil and Melaleuca have traditionally been suggested for topical or internal use for snake bites.
Grounding Blend, Invigorating Blend or Lavender to help calm the person.
Frankincense and Helichrysum topically coupled with the anti-venom treatment and during the days following to speed healing.
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.