Hormone changes occur during the normal monthly cycle resulting in a wide variety of symptoms depending on the individual. Symptoms can include physiological problems such as fluid retention, swollen joints, skin problems, fatigue, or headaches. Some may also experience psychological reactions ranging from severe aggressive irritability to irrationality, tension, insomnia, decreased libido, depression, apathy, or sadness. These symptoms vary widely in each woman. They usually start 7 to 10 days prior to menstrual flow and end shortly thereafter. For most women, if not addressed, there will be a similar pattern month to month.
PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) is the term used to describe severe PMS symptoms. They follow the same cycle and range of symptoms but produce a more debilitating outcome. To clinically be PMDD the symptoms must include one mood related symptom and five or more of the following:
• Disinterest in daily activities and relationships
• Fatigue or low energy
• Feeling of sadness or hopelessness, possible suicidal thoughts
• Feelings of tension or anxiety
• Feeling out of control
• Food cravings or binge eating
• Mood swings marked by periods of teariness
• Panic attack
• Persistent irritability or anger that affects other people
• Physical symptoms, such as bloating, breast tenderness, headaches, and joint or muscle pain
• Problems sleeping
• Trouble concentrating
Long Term Preventative Measures
• Overall – Monthly Blend for Women is a blend of oils specifically chosen to help with menstrual discomfort. Apply 2-4 drops topically to the abdomen periodically as needed for discomfort with warm compress for additional help (also consider the Massage Blend Technique).
Additional help with specific oils: (note: Dr. Hill and many others point out that different oils work for different folks and there is usually a need to do some experimentation to determine what works best for each individual)
• Cramps – Here are protocols that were very helpful to specific folks:
• Apply 2 – 4 drops of Solace, Tension Blend or Clary Sage/Cypress topically to theabdomen. Use a warm compress on abdomen after applying oils.
• Take 8 -12 drops of Sandalwood internally in a capsule at the outset. On the second day take 6 – 8 drops of Sandalwood in a capsule.
• Also consider Basil, Clary Sage, Soothing Blend, Geranium or Peppermint applied topically to lower abdomen or lower back. For additional help cup & inhale and use a warm compress after applying oils.
• Anger, anxiety,
disinterest – Topically apply Calming Blend and/or Blend for Women to bottoms of feet and back of neck and/or diffuse. (also consider Grounding Blend, Bergamot, Fennel, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Ylang Ylang)
• Acne – Multiple folks report even after other symptoms are helped with LLV and other techniques that adult acne continues. Protocols reported successful for acne were:
– Lavender and Melaleuca topically for light acne problems
– Cleansing Blend topically was reported very successful for difficult acne outbreaks coupled with Helichrysum and Frankincense for long term skin toning.
– Topical Blend with Cleansing Blend, Melaleuca, and Geranium topically during monthly breakout.
Maggie Tisserand in her book Aromatherapy for Women gives this sage bit of advice, “Lemongrass bath strengthens my emotions when emotionally wobbly.”
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.