Insomnia describes a number of unusual sleep patterns that do not allow a person to get the rest needed to function at properly during their waking hours. This can result from not being able to go to sleep, not being able to stay asleep, or not being able to rest well while asleep. If any of these conditions occurs for a number of weeks this chronic condition becomes a serious health concern.
Insomnia can be a primary condition or it can be a symptom of some underlying condition. Anxiety, alcohol, caffeine, stress are common primary causes of insomnia. Secondary insomnia can come from physical or psychological factors such as depression, indigestion, restless leg syndrome, or a chronic pain condition.
Essential oils are a blessing to those who suffer from not being able to sleep. The sedative and relaxing properties of so many oils provide a wide range of choices. Lavender is very highly recommended. Clary Sage, Frankincense, Marjoram, Orange, Rosemary, Ylang Ylang, or blends like Grounding Blend, Calming Blend will also have very good relaxing or sedative properties.
Many have found one of these simple solution effective:
• 2-3 drops of Lavender or Calming Blend on hands and rubbed across pillow at bedtime
• 1-3 drops of Clary Sage under the tongue at bedtime
A key to insomnia is finding the best oils or blends and the best personal application technique. Experiment with different oils/blends and with one or more of the following application techniques:
• Baths and body or foot massage
• Diffuse a blend or single oil in the bedroom or use an inhaler or cup and inhale technique at bed time
• Make a 5% water spritz and spray on the pillow with Lavender or other oil
• The Massage Blend Technique is a great relaxant just before retiring
• For children, a foot massage just prior to bedtime using a Calming Blend, Lavender, or a Lemon/Lavender/carrier blend. This will be very relaxing and will often help them sleep deeper and awake more refreshed. It can also be a very good bonding time between parents and children.
Note: It may be beneficial to rotate with other oils from time to time.
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.