Menopause can be initiated in three ways.
- Natural Menopause – Natural Menopause should be regarded as a normal adjustment reflecting a benign change in a women’s biological life from child bearing to a new period of personal fulfillment.
- Premature Menopause (Toxicity Induced) – May be caused by toxins introduced by our lifestyle including:
a) Dairy products (bovine growth hormones)
b) Soy based products
d) Personal care products
e) Cooking with Teflon products
Note: Many modern products in our industrial society have xenoestrogen components and our bodies need to be strengthened against them. (Xenoestrogens are manmade chemicals which mimic natural estrogen in the body thus causing hormone imbalance)
- Artificial Menopause (Surgical Inducement) – Surgical removal of the uterus deprives the body of ovarian produced hormones needed during and after menopause resulting in poor:
a) Bone health
b) Skin health
c) Sexual function
d) Heart health
e) Emotional stability
Problems during menopause are typically abnormalities brought about by our industrialized culture and deviations from a healthy lifestyle. These often lead to estrogenic dominance (estrogen/progesterone balance) resulting in symptoms such as:
- · Decreased sex drive
- · Irregular abnormal periods
- · Bloating and water retention
- · Breast swelling and tenderness
- · Mood swings / depression
- · Weight gain
- · Cold hands and feet
- · Headaches
- · Osteoporosis (progesterone osteoclast formation)
Hormonal balance may be helped by:
· Reducing Stress
· Controlling toxicity
· Increasing progesterone
· Treating symptoms
Reducing Chronic Stress – Chronic stress produces two negative effects on hormonal balance. Progesterone is converted to cortisol and adrenaline inhibits the proper interaction of progesterone within cells. Both of these lead to estrogen dominance and the resulting symptoms.
· To decrease adrenaline: use essential oils of Rose and Patchouli, both of which are found in the Blend for Women blend.
Stress reducing oils and blends presented were:
· Citrus oils, Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, Calming Blend, Grounding Blend, Joyful Blend, Frankincense, Lavender, conifer oils
· For stress reduction a combination with Sandalwood, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, and Frankincense , when mixed together give a very pleasing aroma. Using 1 drop of each mixed together he would apply to the bottoms of the feet, the back of the neck, the temples and/or inhale the aroma. He has found this reduces stress immediately.
· Finally, a must for those dealing with hormonal balance are the oils, blends, and procedures in the Massage Blend Technique. This should be done on a consistent and regular basis once a week, twice a month at the least, and more often if needed.
Controlling Toxicity – Toxicity should be addressed by first preparing the body for cleansing, using cleansing oils, and oils that support the liver and other organs that help in detoxifying the body.
· To strengthen the body in the cleansing process requires the proper vitamins and minerals such as those found in the Life Long Wellness pack and the Microplex VM supplement.
· Use citrus oils every day as they are great detoxifying agents. Use regularly as in our environment we are exposed to toxins every day. Some use them in water, others use 10 or 15 drops in a capsule. To support the liver and other organs these essential oils and blends were suggested:
· Geranium may be topically applied over the liver and/or over the adrenal glands
· Grapefruit, Helichrysum, and Lemongrass may be taken internally with 4-5 drops in a capsule or applied topically over the liver.
· Rosemary is a good support for the liver and an excellent decongestant for the liver. It may be applied topically or taken in a capsule.
Increasing progesterone – The imbalance between estrogen and progesterone often requires an increase in progesterone. This is best accomplished by enabling the body to increase progesterone naturally in the body.
· Some common sources of progesterone are available. These include dietary supplements, creams, wild Mexican yams, soy, and dairy products. These must be selected carefully to be assured they are the variety with the desired progesterone and are not contaminated in other ways.
· An excellent source is again the Life Long Wellness pack and the Microplex VM supplement. Among the ingredients in VM the following assist the body in natural progesterone generation: the antioxidant vitamins A, C, E; the energy blend of B vitamins; and Zinc.
· Thyme and Oregano are essential oils that will help the body naturally generate progesterone. Thyme is included in the Microplex VM supplement. Oregano may be used for short periods of time, a drop or two on the bottom of the feet for 8 to 10 days.
· Geranium topically applied over the liver, adrenal glands, and/or the kidney will help the generation of natural progesterone.
· Frankincense should also be considered for disorders of the uterus such as fibroid cysts, etc. Use it to reduce existing abnormalities or consider it to prevent their formation. Frankincense will
also balance the endocrine system. Use it by placing 2 or 3 drops under the tongue every night and every morning.
Treating symptoms – The symptoms associated with Hormonal Imbalance increase not only discomfort but the stress and should be addressed.
· Hot Flashes: Peppermint, Geranium, citrus oils and Clary Sage. Peppermint is an excellent way to cool down and may be effective on the feet at night, the back of the neck, on the chest, or some prefer a spray bottle with Peppermint and water for easy application.
· Fatigue: Ginger, Peppermint, the Life Long Wellness pack, and White Fir. The Life Long Wellness provides the balanced supplements to increase energy levels. Ginger, Peppermint, and White Fir individually or together are invigorating. Peppermint and White Fir inhaled or on the temples is effective and Ginger topically applied to the liver and adrenal glands is also helpful to some.
· Libido: Ylang Ylang, Ginger, Peppermint, Joyful Blend, Clary Sage. All of these oils can be helpful.
That these are general suggestions but each individual is different and achieving hormonal balance is sometimes a delicate exercise but he has seen tremendous success in helping those with these needs.
This is the he primary factor for why we have all of the difficulties we have with hormones.
There are three different types of Estrogen
available in the body:
1. Natural Estrogen produced by the ovaries, adrenals, and fat tissue
2. Xenoestrogen – manmade chemicals that mimic natural estrogen in the body.
The difficulty is we find them all throughout our culture. Foods we eat, the way we process our foods, animal products that have hormone enhancement are all sources of xenoestrogens. These are from outside our bodies and are unnatural or manmade estrogens that have inundated our system entirely.
3. Phytoestrogens are dominant in the plant world. They are not natural in the body but are natural in plants and are in food sources that we have available.
HRT (hormone replacement therapy).
One misguided notion is that we are not estrogen dominant but in fact we are estrogen insufficient. That has led to this prevalence today of HRT (hormone replacement therapy.)
Another important concept associated with HRT is dosage. Any time we take any kind of a product into our bod there are two kinds of dosage levels.
1. A physiologic dose – the normal dose your body needs to function. It is not an overabundance but a level that allows your body to function properly.
2. A pharmacologic dosage in the body – this is very different.
Why is that important?
Hormones are chemical messengers that interact with the cell. Xenoestrogens act in the same way and with the pharmacologic dosage we get from all the processed foods and other sources we are exposed to they block the receptors in our body cells and send a signal to our body that we no longer need to produce estrogen. This explain why in our modern society puberty much much earlier in girls and menopause much much earlier in women.
More about Phytoestrogens – these are plant compounds that have actions similar to estrogen but in a much safer way than HRT. We are getting physiologic dosage levels not pharmacologic dosage levels. It is a much lower level and but much more powerful in another ways.
1. Phytoestrogens protect tissues from the effects of Xenoestrogens and other hormonal pollutants. The Phytoestrogens will help the body eliminate the unwanted Xenoestrogens.
2. When Phytoestrogens are present in the body they can stimulate normal estrogenic responses. That is if we are estrogenic or estrogen insufficient they will stimulate and work with the body’s normal processes to stimulate normal hormonal processes. What it does not do is over stimulate and cause the body to stop producing its own normal levels of estrogen.
3. Because of their lower dosage levels it means we can consume them on a regular basis (and they come typically from fruits and vegetables).
Things we can do.
What are things we can do on a regular basis to fortify ourselves against the effects of estrogen dominance?
Eat whole foods.
One of the best things we can do with the onset of menopause or to balance our hormones is to eat whole foods that have Phytoestrogens in them. This includes:
- Whole grains
- Fruits and vegetables
- Seed oils like flax seed oil
Essential oils can help us balance our hormones.
One of the ways to reduce estrogen dominance is to increase the dominance of progesterone in your body. Two oils to do this are Thyme and Oregano. There is a lot of Oregano on the bottoms of the feet. Thyme is also very powerful and has the benefit that it can be used every single day. You get the value of having Thyme essential oil in the Life Long Vitality supplements.
Geranium and Frankincense.
How do you really test your hormones?
Most people believe that the blood test is the way. This is what your physician would normally do. But looking at the serum levels are largely inaccurate for true hormone evaluation.
Saliva testing is the model that many are going to at this time. Its less expensive, its easy to conduct and you can do it on your own. You can find laboratory in your area, they will send you the kit, you sample your saliva, send it to them and they will give you an accurate measurement of your hormonal activity within your body.
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.