Heat exhaustion occurs when a person exerts themselves beyond the body’s ability to cool itself. This can occur because of one or more of the following conditions:
• Extremely hot conditions
• Extremely humid condition (makes evaporation of sweat less effective in cooling the body)
• Dehydration because not enough fluids have been taken in and/or because sweating has depleted the available moisture in the body
• The person is not conditioned or used to these extreme conditions
As the result of one or more of these conditions a person’s temperature will rise, their face will become flushed, and they will become weak or disoriented. If their body temperature rises beyond 104 F they are in a more serious condition than heat exhaustion know as a heat stroke. If that condition occurs emergency medical help should be summoned immediately.
Heat exhaustion progressing to the dangerous heat stroke condition might include some of the following conditions:
• The flushed color and redness beyond the face to other parts of body
• They might pass out for more than a brief time
• If you can take their temperature and it has risen to more than 104 F
• Convulsions or seizers occur
• They vomiting or have diarrhea
• An increased heart rate
Oils & Blends: Peppermint
Essential oils based products:
Also consider: Lavender
Move the person to a cool spot (shade) and a restful position and help them rehydrate by sipping cool liquids if possible (avoid carbonated drinks or alcohol) while using the oils in the following way:
• Apply a cool damp cloth with Peppermint added to the forehead. (Sponge bath or body bath if extreme body temperature rise.)
• Apply 2 – 3 drops of Peppermint to each of these areas; the back of the neck, the bottoms of the feet, and the chest or neck. If a Peppermint spritz is available that may be used on these areas.
• Let them “cup and inhale” the Peppermint
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.