An ear ache is most commonly an infection in the ear canal or surrounding structures. This can be a variety of infectious agents from the common viral infection of a cold to other, more difficult, infections. Other causes to look for in infants and small children are irritations caused by cleaning with a cotton swab or reactions to shampoos or other cleaning products. Pain from an ear infection usually is a result of fluid being trapped and putting pressure on the eardrum. Beyond the pain and loss of hearing other symptoms include:
· Mucus drainage from the ear
· Fever (100 F, 38 C or higher)
· Irritability and loss of appetite in infants and children
· Loss of balance or vertigo
· May be accompanied with sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea
A detailed protocol for a young child:
· Put 3 drops of Basil on 1/2 of a cotton ball and push lightly into the ear (do not place oils directly in ear, the vapor from the cotton ball will penetrate and reach the infection)
· For added pain relief rub a few drops of Grapefruit behind and around the outer part of the ear.
· With the child laying down place a warm wash cloth over the ear.
· With an ear infection there is a good possibility the lymph nodes have accumulated the toxins so a further precaution would be a lymphatic massage. Lightly massage with Frankincense, Grapefruit and a carrier oil from under her ear, down the length of the neck towards the heart.
· Add more Basil to the cotton ball every 2 or 3 hours.
· Oregano is a very strong antibiotic oil but is too “hot” to apply on most using the cotton ball technique or around the ear. On the other hand it and other oils may be applied directly to the bottoms of the feet. 1 or 2 drops applied every 2 or 3 hours will be sufficient in most situations.
Special Precautions: Do not apply oils directly into the ear canal.
Note * – The information on this website is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by those that have used essential oils and has not been reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious Medical Concerns consult your doctor. Please treat this website for reference purpose only.