While Ylang ylang, is famed for its exquisite fragrance and long history as a component of perfumes, it has much to offer therapeutically, as well. It promotes a positive outlook on life, lifts the mood, while having a calming effect, helping to lessen tension and stress. It helps to balance hormones, and promotes healthy skin and hair.
Ylang ylang essential oil is steam distilled from the star-shaped flowers of the tropical Cananga odorata tree, yielding an oil with sweet, rich, spicy aroma, high in the chemical compounds of germancrene-D and β-caryophyllene.
Ylang ylang is frequently used in luxurious hair and skin products, for its scent and nourishing and protective properties that promote health skin and hair. It is used extensively in making perfumes, as well as in aromatherapy. Similar to jasmine, ylang ylang has been used for centuries, in religious and wedding ceremonies.
In aromatherapy, ylang ylang is used to lessen tension and stress, and to promote a positive outlook. Its aroma lifes the mood, while having a calming effect. It also helps to balance hormones.
Due to ylang ylang‘s powerful scent, only a small amount is needed for application and diffusion. It blends well with bergamot, geranium, grapefruit and vetiver.
Primary benefits of ylang ylang oil
- Helps balance hormones
- Promotes healthy skin and hair
- Lifts mood while having a calming effect
- Helps lessen tension and stress
- Promotes a positive outlook
Uses for ylang ylang oil
- Put ylang ylang into an Epsom Salt bath, for relaxation.
- Refresh your skin with an aromatherapy steam facial, using ylang ylang essential oil.
- Put on your wrists, for a sweet and floral perfume.
- Add ylang ylang to carrier oil, for a deep hair conditioner.
How to use
Ylang ylang oil is intended for aromatic, topical or dietary use. It is gentle enough to be used neat.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.