Used widely for its therapeutic, calming effect on the skin, mind and body, Roman chamomile is especially soothing to the systems of the body, and helps to support healthy immune system function.
The Anthemis nobilis plant grows close to the ground, reaching only up to a foot in height. It has gray-green leaves, flowers that resemble a daisy and smells like apple. The plant has been nicknamed the “plant’s physician”, because it has positive effects on plants growing nearby. Ancient Romans used the chamomile for mental clarity and courage during war.
The oil is steam distilled from the flowers of the small, white, daisy-like flower of the Anthemis nobilis plant, yielding an oil with a floral, sweet, herbaceous aroma, high in the chemical compounds of isobutyl angelate and isoamyl angelate.
The most versatile of the chamomiles, Roman chamomile oil is most commonly used in teas; but it can also be found in face creams, drinks, hair dyes, shampoos and perfumes.
With a therapeutic, calming effect on all types of skin, Roman chamomile oil is used extensively in Europe, in skin preparations for young and old alike. Its calming effect on both the mind and body makes it especially valuable for restless children.
Primary benefits of Roman chamomile oil
- Has a therapeutic, calming effect on the skin, mind and body
- Soothes the systems of the body
- Supports healthy immune system function
Uses for Roman chamomile oil
- Add 1 – 2 drops to herbal teas or hot drinks, to help calm the body and mind.
- Diffuse or apply to bottoms of feet, at bedtime, to soothe body systems and prepare them for a restful night’s sleep.
- Apply to the bottoms of the feet, to support healthy immune system function.
How to use
Roman chamomile oil is intended for aromatic, topical and internal use. It is gentle enough to Diffusion: Use three to four
- drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize anypossible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.