Juniper berry has a rich history of traditional uses. It acts as a natural cleansing and detoxifying agent, both internally and externally, and supports healthy kidney and urinary function. It may benefit problematic skin areas, and helps to relieve tension and stress.
Juniper berry oil is derived from the berries of the coniferous Juniperus communis tree, which are steam distilled, and yields an essential oil with a balsamic, clean, woody, spicy aroma, which is high in the chemical constituents of α-pinene, sabinene. The scent has a calming effect, that helps relieve tension and stress. When diffused, juniper berry helps to cleanse and purify the air.
It should be noted that other essential oil companies typically offer an oil that is distilled from the branches and berries of the Juniperus communis tree. This produces an oil with a very different chemical profile and therapeutic benefits.
Primary benefits of juniper berry oil
- Supports healthy kidney and urinary function
- May benefit problematic skin areas
- Acts as a natural cleansing and detoxifying agent
- Helps relieve tension and stress
Uses for juniper berry oil
- Add 1 – 2 drops to water or citrus drinks, as part of a natural cleansing regimen.
- Apply 1 drop to problematic skin areas, to promote a clear, healthy complexion.
- Diffuse with citrus oils, to freshen and purify the air and to lessen stress.
How to use
Juniper berry oil is intended for aromatic, topical or dietary use. It is gentle enough to be used neat.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.