One of the most precious and sought-after of the essential oils, helichrysum has traditionally been used to help relieve tension, and to help the skin to recover quickly. It helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other skin blemishes, and promotes a glowing, youthful complexion. But, it does so much more.
Helichrysum oil promotes healthy liver function, helping the body to detoxify. It promotes circulation and supports localized blood flow, making it a powerful tool in support of your overall health and wellness.
Helichrysum italicum, a flowering, plant of the daisy family Asteraceae, is a small perennial herb, with narrow, silver leaves, and flowers that form a cluster of golden yellow, ball-shaped blossoms. The name “Helichrysum” is derived from the Greek “helios” meaning sun and “chrysos” meaning gold, referring to the color of the flowers.
Helichrysum oil we offer, is steam distilled from the flower cluster of the Helichrysum italicum plant, yielding an oil with an herbaceous, honey, hay aroma. Helichrysum italicum is the most commonly distilled strain, because of its high concentration of aromatic constituents, as compared to other strains.
Helichrysum has been used for its many health benefits since ancient Greece. It is best known for its ability to help the skin quickly recover, helping to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other blemishes, while promoting a glowing, youthful complexion. It promotes healthy liver function, helping to detoxify the body. It also supports localized blood flow and promotes circulation. Helichrysum also helps to relieve tension.
Helichrysum oil contains active constituents that have not been identified in any other essential oil. These chemical constituents include:
- up to 10% diketones,
- up to 30% sesquiterpene hydrocarbons, and
- up to 50% esters.
Together, these create a powerful chemical profile, making it an ideal essential oil for many personal applications. It is a wonderful oil that is highly prized by essential oils users.
Quality helichrysum oil is quite rare. Because it is almost exclusively wild-crafted (due to the difficulty of maintaining active constituent levels in domestic strains), it tends to be hard to find.
Primary benefits of helichyrsum oil
- Helps skin recover quickly
- Helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other blemishes
- Promotes a glowing, youthful complexion
- Promotes healthy liver function
- Helps detoxify the body
- Supports localized blood flow
- Promotes circulation
- Helps to relieve tension
Uses for helichrysum oil
- Apply directly to wrinkles, or other blemishes, to reduce their appearance and help the skin recover more quickly.
- Take internally, as part of a natural cleansing regimen, to promote healthy liver function and help to detoxify the body.
- Apply topically, to support localized blood flow and promote circulation.
- Massage into temples and the back of the neck, to help relieve tension.
How to use
Helichrysum oil is intended for aromatic and topical use. Some sources recommend internal use, as well. It is listed as GRAS for human consumption by the FDA (21CFR182.20); however, it should not be ingested by children six years and younger. It is gentle enough to be used neat.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.