Grapefruit‘s fresh, invigorating aroma is sure to please the senses. It cleanses and purifies, is beneficial for oily skin issues, supports healthy metabolism, and helps to reduce mental and physical fatigue, while helping with sore muscles and joints. All of these have made it a favorite among essential oil lovers.
Referred to as a “forbidden fruit” and one of the “Seven Wonders of Barbados”, grapefruit was first documented in 1750, by Welshman Rev. Griffith Hughes. The name “grapefruit” is attributed to the fruit’s growing in clusters, which resemble those of grapes.
Grapefruit oil is cold-pressed from the rind (peel) of the Citrus X paradisisfruit, yielding an oil with a citrus, floral, fruity aroma, and a high d-limonene content.
Known for its energizing and invigorating effect, grapefruit oil helps reduce mental and physical fatigue and supports healthy metabolism. It is also renowned for its cleansing and purifying benefits. It is beneficial for oily skin issues and helps to purify, as it cleanses.
Primary benefits of grapefruit oil
- Cleanses and purifies
- Beneficial for oily skin issues
- Supports healthy metabolism
- Helps reduce mental and physical fatigue
- Helps with sore muscles and joints
Uses for grapefruit oil
- Diffuse, to sharpen focus and reduce mental fatigue, while studying or reading.
- Diffuse, or apply topically, to reduce physical fatigue.
- Apply to sore muscles and joints.
- Diffuse, or take internally, to support healthy metabolism.
- Diffuse, or apply topically, to cleanse and purify.
- Add a drop to skin care products, to benefit oily skin issues.
- Mix together grapefruit and cypress oils, with carrier oil, and rub on problem areas, to help give skin a more youthful appearance.
- Can be used as a cleaning spray (just add a few drops to water in a spray bottle, shake and spray on surfaces).
- It makes an excellent fruit and vegetable wash. To clean your vegetables, just add several drops to a large bowl or sink of water and wash.
How to use
Grapefruit oil is intended for aromatic, topical or internal use. It is gentle enough to be used neat.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas. Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product.