A close relative to ginger, cardamom has a long history as a cooking spice. It is also know to be beneficial to the digestive system, in a variety of ways. Cardamom is commonly used to help ease occasional indigestion and calm occasional stomach upset, helping to maintain an optimal gastrointestinal balance. It also promotes clear breathing and respiratory health, while promoting a positive mood. Cardamom oil is steam distilled from the seeds of the Elettaria cardamomum plant. It yields an oil that is spicy, fruity, warm and balsamic, and can be used aromatically, topically and by ingestion.
It is known (by some) as being the most expensive cooking spice. But its other properties demonstrate its real value. Cardamom oil has profound effects on the respiratory system, due to its high 1,8-cineol content, which promotes clear breathing and respiratory health. Its distinct scent can calm the occasional stomach upset, while uplifting the mood.
Native to Southeast Asia, cardamom is added to traditional Indian sweets and teas for its cool, yet minty aroma and flavor. However, the oil we offer is extracted from Elettaria cardamomum seeds grown in Guatemala, with high quality testing standards.
Primary benefits of cardamom oil
- Eases occasional indigestion
- Maintains an optimal gastrointestinal balance
- Promotes clear breathing and respiratory health
- Calms occasional stomach upset
- Uplifts mood
- Flavorful spice for cooking and baking
Uses for cardamom oil
- Use internally, as part of a daily health regimen, to support healthy gastrointestinal function.
- Diffuse, or apply topically, to promote clear breathing.
- Add to bread, smoothies, meats and salads, to enhance food flavor and aid digestion.
- Diffuse or inhale, to calm occasional stomach upset.
How to use
Cardamom oil can be used for aromatic, topical or dietary purposes.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Cardamom is a very gentle oil, but dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.