Basil oil (Basil CT linalool) is a wonderfully sweet-smelling oil, valued for its soothing and calming properties. It is commonly used for soothing sore muscles and joints, to assist with clear breathing and as a cooling agent for the skin. However, it also promotes mental alertness, sharpening mental focus while studying or reading, enhances memory function and reduces stress, tension and anxious feelings.
Basil oil is steam distilled from the leaf of the Ocimum basilicum plant. Unlike most basils, which contain more methylchavicol, the basil oil we offer is rich in linalool content (like lavender oil). This makes it very relaxing and calming, and more effective for reducing stress and anxious feelings. It also promotes mental alertness, enhances memory function and sharpens focus while studying or reading.
Basil has a warm, spicy, yet herbal aroma, known to enhance memory function while reducing stress and tension. It soothes sore muscles and joints, reduces anxious feelings and feelings of stress and tension and, when applied to the temples and back of the neck it reduces tension.
Basil is commonly used in cooking, to add a fresh, herbal flavor to meats, pastas and entrée soothe minor irritations. When diffused, basil assists with clear breathing, promotes mental alertness and enhances memory function, while sharpening focus and lessening stress.
Primary benefits of Basil oil
- Soothes sore muscles and joints
- Assists with clear breathing
- Acts as a cooling agent for the skin
- Promotes mental alertness
- Lessens anxious feelings
- Enhances memory function
- Reduces stress and tension
- Reduces tension when applied to temples and back of neck
- Soothes minor irritations
- Sharpens focus while studying or reading
- Soothes minor skin irritations
- Very effective at keeping the head clear and mind focused
Uses for basil oil
- Diffuse to sharpen focus while studying or reading.
- Apply to minor skin irritations. For sensitive skin, irritation.
- Apply to sore muscles and joints.
- Diffuse, or apply topically, to promote clear breathing.
How to use
Basil oil can be used for aromatic, topical or dietary purposes. It is gentle enough to be used neat.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid. Put it together with marjoram and thyme, on pot roast with wonderful results. It’s also great with oregano, marjoram and thyme in spaghetti sauce.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to use neat, dilution with carrier oil will help to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.