Arborvitae oil offers you powerful protection from both environmental and seasonal threats. It also has powerful cleansing and purifying properties, as well as promoting healthy cell function.
Arborvitae essential oil is steam distilled from the wood of the Thuja plicata tree. It has a warm, woody, earthy scent. It can be used aromatically or topically, and is safe to use without dilution (neat).
Native to the Canadian Northwest, all parts of the arborvitae tree were used extensively by Native Americans for its health benefits, and for building vessels, totem poles, baskets and clothing. Because of its natural protective properties, arborvitae wood does not rot; which makes it popular in woodcraft and for preserving natural wood surfaces.
Known, by some, as the “tree of life”, arborvitae is majestic in size and, because of its high content of tropolones, the essential oil distilled from its wood is abundant in therapeutic benefits. Tropolones have a unique chemical structure, which makes them strongly bioactive.
More about arborvitae oil
Arborvitae oil is strongly protective against common threats in the environment, while promoting healthy cell function. It protects the body from harmful elements and seasonal threats, as well as acting as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent, supporting normal cell activity. It is also a natural insect repellent.
Many of arborvitae’s beneficial properties are due to its high content of a group of chemical compounds called tropolones. These include:
- Hinokitiol, which protects the body from harmful elements, while supporting normal cell activity. This compound also contributes to arborvitae‘s natural insect repellent properties.
- Thujic acid, which has been studied for its ability to protect against common threats in the environment.
Primary benefits of arborvitae oil
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats
- Promotes healthy cell function
- Powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Natural insect repellent and wood preservative
Uses for arborvitae oil
- Apply 1 – 2 drops to areas of concern on the skin.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle, with water, and spray on surfaces or hands, to protect against environmental threats.
- Apply to pulse points, to promote healthy cell function.
- Diffuse, to purify the air and to repel insects inside the home.
- Mix 4 drops of arborvitae essential oil and 2 drops of lemon essential oil, for a natural wood preservative and polish.
How to use
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. While gentle enough to be used neat, dilution with carrier oil, to minimize any possible skin sensitivity.
- Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears or sensitive areas.