Hindi Name: पिस्ता
Pistachio is a member of the cashew family which is a small tree originally from Central Asia and the Middle East. Iran, United States and Turkey are the leading producers of pista. They are dry hard-shelled nuts used to make desserts like baklava, halwa, chocolates and ice creams. Its kernel can be eaten whole, either fresh or roasted and salted. In the US it is often used to make pistachio salad, which includes fresh pistachios or pistachio pudding, whipped cream, and canned fruit.
1. Pistachios are rich source of energy and an excellent source of antioxidants which help prevent coronary artery diseases.
2. They help in forming good cholesterol levels within the blood.
3. Pistachios are an excellent source of vitamin-E.
4. These nuts contain minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium which are essential for metabolism and red blood cell (RBC) synthesis.
5. Pistachio nut oil helps to keep skin well protected from dryness.
6. It is also used in cooking, and as “carrier or base oil” in traditional medicines in massage therapy, aromatherapy, in pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industry.
7. They are incredibly rich source of vitamin B6 which is essential to make hemoglobin.
Note: People who suffer from food allergies, especially tree nut allergies, should consume pistachio nuts with caution. People who react to a compound called Fructans can have gastrointestinal problems from its consumption.
Did you know?
90% of the fat content in pistachio is the healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats.