Essential oils need not be applied neat (or undiluted) for every use. One common mistake with oils is the assumption that more is better. One advantage of carrier oils is that they do not evaporate like essential oils that tend to evaporate quicker when applied neat. Carrier oils actually aid in absorption.
Whole coconut oil is solid at room temperature and has long unsaturated fatty acid triglycerides. This oil has a high percentage of completely saturated triglycerides (no double bonds). When the smaller fatty acids and long-chain triglycerides are separated from the whole coconut oil, it leaves only saturated fats or a fraction of the whole oil. This is then known as “Fractionated Coconut Oil.”
Advantages of Fractionated Coconut Oil –
With no double bonds, there is no oxidation. Thus, fractionated coconut oil is a carrier that never goes rancid. It basically has an indefinite shelf life and is in a perfectly clear liquid form.
- It is odorless and colorless.
- It absorbs into the skin while reducing essential oil evaporation.
- It is excellent on skin; a natural and very safe moisturizer, softener and safe, non-irritant lubricator.
- It leaves skins smooth with no greasy feeling.
- Low production costs make it cost effective.
- It can be mixed with other, more expensive, carriers to increase shelf life. It can also be used it to create different cream textures.
- It does not aggravate skin problems or clog pores.
- It is fully digestible and considered an excellent and healthy cooking oil.
- It is truly one of the best multi-purpose carrier oil products on the market.
Grapeseed oil is made from the seed of the grape. Its production prior to the 20th century was limited because grape seeds contain such a small quantity of oil. The process of extraction therefore is labor intensive. It is most widely known for its healthy culinary applications. It is beginning to be recognized as a massage oil, lotion base, hygiene cream, and lip balm. It is relatively odorless and is an excellent carrier oil.
- It offers regenerative and restructuring characteristics that offer quality skin moisturizing.
- It is considered an excellent lubricant for massage and shaving.
- It leaves a glossy film that protects essential oils from evaporation. Saturation takes longer than some other carriers.
- Some claim it has astringent qualities that tighten and tone the skin.
- It does not aggravate acne or clog pores.
Jojoba oil is found in the seed of the Jojoba plant. The oil makes up nearly 50% of the seed in weight. It is native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico. It is considered a natural wax.
- It is known for its nourishing qualities for the skin.
- It closely resembles the natural oils of our own skin
- It absorbs well into the skin, with no greasy feeling.
- It is naturally protective to sensitive skin.
Olive oil is universally known a one of the most quality culinary oils. It has a multitude of uses however, including a quality carrier oil.
- It has a high vitamin and mineral count.
- It is a quality lubricant.
- It has approximately a one-year shelf life.
- It is an excellent conditioner for hair.
Essential oils can be added to carrier oils or a carrier oil can be applied first to an area, followed by an essential oil, this process is referred to as dilution. It is usually specified in terms of either a percentage or a number of drops to be added to an amount of carrier oil.